Michael Balanoff – Chair of Community Relations
Michael is serving as the Chairman of the Community Relation Committee of the Jewish Federation of CNY. The CRC is responsible for representing the Jewish community in InterGroup and InterReligious relations as well as the security and well-being of the Jewish community both here and in Israel.
Michael has been an involved leader in both the Jewish community and the community-at-large for over 36 years. He led missions to Israel in 2003 and in 1974. He served on the YMCA’s Outreach Board of Managers, is a Past President of the Jewish Community Center, Temple Beth El and of the Syracuse Jewish Federation.
He is a Vietnam Veteran who served in the U.S. Army and was awarded the Bronze Star. He is a founder and past president of the CNY Bankruptcy Bar Association and practices before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York where he is on a select Panel of Mediators and Arbitrators. In addition, Michael routinely lectures for bar association groups and accountants regarding all aspects of bankruptcy law.
Among his accomplishments are:
- 2010 Pro Bono Service Award by U.S. District Court of Northern District of NY
- 2010 Nicholas S. Priore Advocacy & Professionalism Award
- 2011/2010/2009/2008 Super Lawyers, NY Upstate Edition, Bankruptcy & Credit/Debtor Rights
- 2008 Best lawyers in America, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights Law
- Member of Congregation Beth Sholom-Chevra Shas
- Member of the Menorah Park Board of Directors
- Former President of FM Teen Drop-In Center
- Author “How to Make the Chapter 7 Trustee Happy – Some Practical Tips”